DJ Sue

DJ Sue
Welcome to my blog. I’m a DJ in Second Life and I find myself discussing the music I’m playing with many of those in attendance at my shows. Unfortunately, when I am busy DJing, I can’t participate and discuss the music as fully as I would like. I’m hoping this blog can help change that. Look here before my set to see if I might be playing something interesting today or maybe after to see if discussion on a topic might continue. You are invited to join in the conversation and leave comments.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Clarence Clemons (1942-2011)


It is with great regret that I must report the passing of a modern music legend.  Saxophonist, Clarence Clemons, passed away last night.  He was 69.  Monday, during my set, I had reported that he had suffered a serious stroke.  After two surgeries, doctors were hopeful for a recovery, but sadly that was not to be.

He was best known as the saxophone player for Bruce Springsteen’s E Street Band.  How he met the Boss and became a member of the band has become something of a rock legend.  There are varying versions of the story but the fact that he and Bruce became good friends is common to all of them.  The song, Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out, tells the story of how the E Street Band came to be and Clemons is referred to as the “Big Man.” A loud saxophone note can be heard underlining that line after it is sung.
“When the change was made uptown
And the Big Man joined the band”

He attended Maryland State on both a music and football scholarship.  He had a good shot at an NFL career but injuries from a car accident ended that possibility.  He played with various bands and artists around the Jersey Shore and when her first met Springsteen he was playing with Norman Seldin & the Joyful Noyze.  He has played with numerous big name artists and bands throughout his career, including the following…

Jackson Browne
Lady Gaga
Twisted Sister
Aretha Franklin
Ringo Starr
Gary U.S. Bonds
Luther Vandross
Great White
Roy Orbeson
Joe Cocker
The Four Tops
Todd Rundgren
Janis Ian
The Grateful Dead
And MANY more

He also starred in many TV shows and movies in an entertainment career that spanned five decades.

I plan on remembering this music great today during my show with a mini set.  I went into Sue’s vault and carefully picked six songs that spanned his career and spotlighted him nicely.  The set will consist of the following:
  • Days of Love by Norman Seldin & the Joyful Noyz (1969)
  • Spirit in the Night by Bruce Springsteen (1973)
  • Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out by Bruce Springsteen (1975)
  • Freeway of Love by Aretha Franklin (1983)
  • Be Chrool to Your Scuel by Twisted Sister (1985)
  • The Edge of Glory by Lady Gaga (2011)
According to Billboard, Bruce Springsteen released this statement upon learning of his friend’s death.

"Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage. His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly forty years. He was my great friend, my partner and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band."
The “Big Man” is gone and his saxophone is silenced forever. However, he will live forever in the countless recordings he has left us to treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment