DJ Sue

DJ Sue
Welcome to my blog. I’m a DJ in Second Life and I find myself discussing the music I’m playing with many of those in attendance at my shows. Unfortunately, when I am busy DJing, I can’t participate and discuss the music as fully as I would like. I’m hoping this blog can help change that. Look here before my set to see if I might be playing something interesting today or maybe after to see if discussion on a topic might continue. You are invited to join in the conversation and leave comments.

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Johnny Lunchbreak




One day, back in 2004, I was cruising through one of the online bulletin boards I was a member of.  This particular board catered to those who had a love of psychedelic music or “psych heads” as we were beginning to be called.  One particular post caught my attention for some reason that day.  It was a cry for help.  The author had come across an old record labeled “Johnny Lunchbreak, Acetate: 1974/1975.”  Included in the jacket was a photo (shown above), presumably of the band, and a psychedelic drawing.  The poster had no further information on Johnny Lunchbreak and he wanted our help in finding out more, maybe even locating one of them. 

For the record (pun fully intended), an acetate is a type of record that can be easily made, one at a time, from any audio source.   This gave record companies the ability to release one or two copies of something without having to set up the vinyl process involving plates to be used in pressing, etc.  The acetate material was placed on a round aluminum disk and a lathe, looking like a phonograph, would cut the groves into the material.  It would then be lacquered to preserve it.  The downside was that these records didn’t last and were temporary at best.

The author of the post also included a download of an mp3 he had made from one of the songs on the acetate, Tinsel Days.  I listened to this mp3 file and it was a bit crackly but not too bad for a 30 year old acetate.  Despite the noise, I could hear the music of two guitars, one acoustic and one electric.  The bass and drums were tight and the singer had a very pleasant voice.  The distorted guitar solo in the middle was very reminiscent of the psychedelic 60’s.  I was hooked.

So who were these guys who left behind nothing but a photo, one temporary record and an almost embarrassingly silly name, “Johnny Lunchbreak?”  The author of the post had come to the right place.  I posted the story to my blog at the time and another DJ friend I knew did so too.  This guy had unknowingly called up a beast, as this massive network of radio DJ’s, recording engineers, record producers and musicians put the word out.  Who is Johnny Lunchbreak?  Does anyone know anything about them?

It didn’t take long to get an answer and it came from a rather unexpected place, Sweden.  It was a guy there, looking closely at the psychedelic drawing.  He noticed that the artist had signed it and was able to make out the name.  Believe it or not, with a bit of detective work, he contacted the artist who in turn was able to contact at least one of the band members to let them know that their acetate had been found 30 years later.  Johnny Lunchbreak had been found in just a couple of days thanks to a global effort of music industry professionals and groupies.

Johnny Lunchbreak had been a band from Connecticut that only existed for less than two years back in 1974-1975.  They had only played on gig outside of the city of Hartford but were obviously serious about pursuing a recording contract or why cut the acetate?  The bigger question, I think, is why didn’t these talented young men make it?  Why hadn’t we heard of them over the previous 30 years?  Maybe it was that silly name that destined them not to be taken too seriously.

In about 2007, a record label, Zero Street Records, would take the acetate and release a limited edition, just 300 copies, of a Johnny Lunchbreak LP.  As time when on, the music industry network would locate the original master tapes and the Numero Group would officially release Appetizer/Soup’s On by Johnny Lunchbreak on CD and now as an mp3 download on places like Amazon.  Johnny Lunchbreak finally made it and have their recording contract.

We would also learn that the look and sound they were going for was the Bee Gees.  Looking at that picture, I can see that and listening to the music, I can hear the influence there too.  Join me tomorrow at a Woman’s Touch from 2-4 PM and you can judge for yourself.  I will play the original mp3 of the acetate that I downloaded in 2004 and then I’ll play the whole album as it has been released.

Fun Fact


It has come to light that the band had Johnny Lunchbreak lunchboxes made.  They never made their record back in the 70’s but their faces were on lunchboxes, one of which has turned up.  You can’t make this shit up.

No comments:

Post a Comment