DJ Sue

DJ Sue
Welcome to my blog. I’m a DJ in Second Life and I find myself discussing the music I’m playing with many of those in attendance at my shows. Unfortunately, when I am busy DJing, I can’t participate and discuss the music as fully as I would like. I’m hoping this blog can help change that. Look here before my set to see if I might be playing something interesting today or maybe after to see if discussion on a topic might continue. You are invited to join in the conversation and leave comments.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

What's in a Name?




Yesterday, we were at the club and the discussion turned to how some bands, especially in the 60’s, just had the most bizarre and off the wall names.  Some people blame it on the LSD but I think a good part of it was just trying to out-weird the next guy.  After all, the more outrageous the name, the more acid drenched the music must be and people would buy it up, right?  Maybe.

One thing led to another and it was suggested that maybe I could do an entire show of bands with bizarre names.  Well, I happened to be doing one today (the next day) so here it is, an entire DJ set of bands with those outrageous names.  At first, I wanted to include all decades but it soon became apparent that 98% of those names are from the late 60’s, so this has become a period piece.  Those that I could find of the same caliber of weirdness just didn’t make the cut like the B-52’s or Men without Hats.

I compiled quite a few and I was able to trim it down to the best two hours musically.  When I looked at the list, a few things become apparent, like taking any inanimate object and making it “electric” somehow made it psychedelic and a great band name, like the Electric Flag, the Electric Prunes and the Electric Banana to name a few.  You will songs from all three today.

You will hear a band today called the “Moving Sidewalks,” which had a young musician, Billy Gibbons, as a member.  Through a couple of personnel changes, Billy and the Moving Sidewalks became ZZ Top.  Something similar happened to the two young Fogerty brothers and their band, the Golliwogs, which evolved into Creedence Clearwater Revival.  We will hear from both this afternoon.

“Creedence Clearwater Revival” is itself a strange enough name to make the list but they are so mainstream that the name has lost its weirdness factor.  Same could be said by many bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the Jefferson Airplane.  I won’t play anything by those mainstream artists but I will play one from something of a copycat knock-off, the Jefferson Handkerchief.

People often hold up Norman Greenbaum as the quintessential “one hit wonder,” and his song, Spirit in the Sky.  This isn’t true as he was also a member of a band you will hear today, Dr. West’s Medicine Show and Junk Band.  They had a top 40 hit with the Eggplant that Ate Chicago, making Norman Greenbaum a “two-hit-wonder,” instead.

Here is a list of some of the bands with strange names I’ll feature today.  These are in alphabetical order but I will not play them in this order.

The Blue Things
The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
Brain Police
The Brass Toads
Capt. Groovy and His Bubblegum Army
The Children of the Mushroom
The Chocolate Light Bulbs
The Chocolate Watchband
Crazy Elephant
Dr. West’s Medicine Show and Junk Band
The Driving Stupid
Edwick Rumbold
The Electric Banana
The Electric Flag
The Electric Prunes
Farpardokly
Fee Fi Four Plus 2
Fifty Foot Hose
First Crew to the Moon
The Flamin’ Groovies
Fruit Machine
The Golliwogs
The International Submarine Band
The Jackson Investment Company
Jefferson Handkerchief
The Jolly Green Giants
The Moving Sidewalks
The Neighb'rhood Childr'n
Oedipus and the Mothers
The Peanut Butter Conspiracy
Plato & the Philosophers
The Rock & Roll Double Bubble Trading Card Co. Of Philadelphia 19141
Strawberry Alarm Clock
Ultimate Spinach
Vampires’ Sound Incorporation
W.C. Fields Memorial String Band
West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band
Wimple Winch
The Wizards from Kansas
The Zakary Thaks
The 13th Floor Elevators
The 1910 Fruitgum Company

Join me today at 2:00 PM SL time as I take a look at these bands with strange names.

Ultimate Spinach's 1968 Debut Album, They released a total of 3 albums. Many of the above bands had several albums.

2 comments:

  1. Leave it to Sue to create something fun and entertaining. Most folks don't realize all the various band names from years gone by or how in the case of CCR, they changed names a few times. I am sure this will be quite the interesting set to be sure.

    Rock on sis!

    Felicia & Kai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maya, sorry you can't make it. :)

    ReplyDelete