DJ Sue

DJ Sue
Welcome to my blog. I’m a DJ in Second Life and I find myself discussing the music I’m playing with many of those in attendance at my shows. Unfortunately, when I am busy DJing, I can’t participate and discuss the music as fully as I would like. I’m hoping this blog can help change that. Look here before my set to see if I might be playing something interesting today or maybe after to see if discussion on a topic might continue. You are invited to join in the conversation and leave comments.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Gene McDaniels Passes at Age 76


I have yet another death to report.  Gene McDaniels passed peacefully in his sleep last night.  He was 76.

He was born in Kansas City, Missouri, and grew up in Omaha, Nebraska.  He had 5 top 40 hits during his career including Tower of Strength, which hit #5, and a Hundred Pounds of Clay, which reached #3.  He wrote Feel Like Makin’ Love for Roberta Flack, which hit #1 in 1974, and earned him a Grammy.  Later in life he moved to Maine and lived a reclusive life.  However, last year he began posting YouTube videos including recent renditions of some of his old classics.  You can find his YouTube page here.

During my set tomorrow, I’ll play a three song tribute to Gene…

Tower of Strength, 1961
Feel Like Makin’ Love, Roberta Flack, 1974 (written by McDaniels)
A Hundred Pounds of Clay, 1961

1 comment:

  1. As of late it seems all our timeless legends are passing away on us. Gene McDaniels, Bob Grill, Dan Peak and yes Amy Winehouse. These artists in some way or another shaped rock music into what it is today. There will always be new stas and up and coming ones, but lest we never forget the legends who brought us all the great tunes we know and love.

    DJ Feliciana "Maya"
    Lead House DJ at A Womans Touch

    ReplyDelete